This recipe is perfect in so many ways!
- You can make it with what you likely already have on hand (read: canned goods)
- It is ready from start-to-finish in under 30 minutes
- It’s super tasty, filling and warming
I first made this soup when I was in college and scrounging as a young vegan on a tight budget and it’s been a staple ever since!
Creamy Three-Bean Stew
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can corn
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can refried beans
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- In a soup pot over medium heat, heat olive oil and saute onions for about 3 minutes until translucent and then add garlic and saute for 1 more minute.
- Stir in chili powder, cumin and black pepper.
- Add canned tomatoes, corn, black beans, kidney beans, refried beans and broth. Stir well to thoroughly combine.
- Bring to a boil over high heat and then cover and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy! Optional garnishes include chopped cilantro and sour cream. Serve with cornbread, warmed corn tortillas or quesadillas.